An Age of Miracles III: The Romans Endure

Rhomania’s General Crisis, Part 18.2-Shall the Sword Devour Forever? Part 3:

Masaniello though is not forgotten, his name frequently conjured up in later political dialogues. [1] He is commonly invoked as an example of the danger of riling up the common folk, as mobs tend to be vicious, ungrateful, and unpredictable. He is also cited as a clear reason why one should not empower the common folk, because the common folk are too stupid to know their own interests. If they had, they would’ve dismembered Maddaloni who despised them as rabble instead. More happily, he is also invoked as a reminder of the need to implement needed reforms in advance, lest desperation conjure up a man like him; in this, he shares a similar historical memory to that of his contemporary Konon.

And they will. The year 1663 is the nadir of Rhomania’s General Crisis. Now begins the climb out.
1) Hope there's some sort of reform that shows all the people of Sicily-Italy that they will be treated as true Romans, not just the orthodox

2) Great news!

Wow after almost half a year of not checking this story, the terrible pace of this current story arc didn't change at all. I've noticed a constant losing pace with no end in sight not even some chapter where there's some slight stop.

I gotta admit after the Demetrios Sideros arc or Great Latin war / Roman succession war which arguably the greatest arc where ups and downs of the tone of story was superb (even better than Andreas Niketas and time of troubles arc ). After that arc it's been nothing but horrendous pacing and questionable direction.

I noticed quite more people are voicing on making even Rome suffer for whatever reason. Ofc some of those are ok but the other suggestions are just going to kill the love for this series. I don't know how many left or got disinterested on this current story arc. But the terrible decisions on how it's currently written at least for me, makes me think that they too probably felt at a loss.

Might reply to any arguments to refute my argument, in any case I sincerely hope that the current story arc change on how it's written and go back to how Great Latin war arc style of writing.

Wow after almost half a year of not checking this story, the terrible pace of this current story arc didn't change at all. I've noticed a constant losing pace with no end in sight not even some chapter where there's some slight stop.

I gotta admit after the Demetrios Sideros arc or Great Latin war / Roman succession war which arguably the greatest arc where ups and downs of the tone of story was superb (even better than Andreas Niketas and time of troubles arc ). After that arc it's been nothing but horrendous pacing and questionable direction.

I noticed quite more people are voicing on making even Rome suffer for whatever reason. Ofc some of those are ok but the other suggestions are just going to kill the love for this series. I don't know how many left or got disinterested on this current story arc. But the terrible decisions on how it's currently written at least for me, makes me think that they too probably felt at a loss.

Might reply to any arguments to refute my argument, in any case I sincerely hope that the current story arc change on how it's written and go back to how Great Latin war arc style of writing.
Are you paying the writer to write the story to your specs? No? Well...

While I'm one of the people who really liked the idea of the *Roman* empire (and they are) keeping the Eternal City I suspect the Sophia faction will be thinking about not looking a gift horse in the mouth in regard to spanish non intervention south of Lazio, you also have to think about whether the sentimentality, prestige, nostalgia etc of holding the city in a world where religion still matters massively is worth more than getting rid of another barrier to good relations with Western Europe. At the end of the day there's probably not going to be much stopping them from taking it back during an enlightenment type of era in a century or two if basileus wants to, and even if he didn't its his own story, let's be grateful it even exists in the first place.

Del Aguila is very polite but also very firm in his terms. The Kingdoms of Spain and Arles have recognized the Papacy as the rightful rulers of Rome and the surrounding territory of Lazio and are there to ensure the Pope can take up his authority. If the Romans cooperate, he will guarantee safe passage and provide any necessary transport and supply for Lazaros, the garrison, and any Roman civilians who wish to accompany them to Messina. If the Romans do not cooperate, things will be messier.

Lazaros protests at first, arguing that Spain and Arles are supposed to be at peace with the Roman Empire and are supporting rebels, an unfriendly act. But the protest is largely for form’s sake. He recognizes the terrible odds against him and after the massacre of Catholics in Constantinople had expected this kind of demand. Del Aguila recognizes the protest for what it is and additionally makes the argument that, naming conventions aside, the city of Rome itself matters far more to Catholics than it does to the Romans, who have New Rome after all. Lazaros then concedes and agrees to the Spanish terms.
I 100% expected this to happen, and that was before the anti-Latin pogrom even happened, which sealed it.
Not like Rome is experiencing a civil war, a war with the Ottomans, and a rebellion in the Sicilian Despotate all at the same time. I'm sure Rhomania is perfectly capable of defending the city militarily or has the public support from Constantinople or Rome itself to commit resources to it.

It's a miracle that Spain and the other Catholic powers have not pressed the issue with Rome militarily, but I suspect this will become more likely as the rebellion to liberate Rome grows stronger.
It's a huge blow to Roman prestige and political influence in Italy (with places like Genoa soon to follow, I think), but they're not in a position to resist the re-establishment of the Papal States. That being said, Rhomania still has Sicily (and to a lesser extent Venice) so not like they will lose everything in this war, but I have my doubts they will reclaim the Eternal City ever again.

For the Romans, I think it could signify that Rome is simply not worth the effort needed to take it again. They know what the city is like and how it's virtually a backwater compared to New Rome. Not even under the illustrious administration of the Kephale has managed to revive the city to the same level as the worst cities in Rhomania. If the Latins want something that amounts to a pile of shit on the streets of Constantinople, then let them take it.

(I prefer Rome under the Papacy rather than the Roman Empire for that reason, as they're one of the few institutions capable of reviving the city to a level similar to its OTL counterpart)

The Romans already have their Rome, the true Rome passed down from the Roman Emperors of Antiquity, and that won't be taken away from them anytime soon.

Del Aguila does not move because he has very clear orders from his King; he is to support the revolt in Rome but to provide no aid for the one in Naples. The public outrage over the massacre of foreigners in Constantinople, which included many Spaniards, made it impossible for King Joao to continue sitting on the side as he had. However, his long-term strategy still requires negotiating with the Romans, which means he doesn’t want to push too far and burn a bridge he’ll want to cross later. Supporting the one rebellion and not the other is his effort to reconcile these two impetuses.
It's a move that benefits Spain and the Papacy for the most part, but I have a feeling that this decision will doom the Neapolitan rebellion, by abandoning the Catholic rebels to the heretics. I could see a lot of Catholics (especially Sicilians) either believe that the rebellion could've been won with further Spanish-Arletian support and/or curse them for their role in the oppression or even possible genocide of Sicilian Catholics for the sake of political expediency.

Masaniello though is not forgotten, his name frequently conjured up in later political dialogues. [1] He is commonly invoked as an example of the danger of riling up the common folk, as mobs tend to be vicious, ungrateful, and unpredictable. He is also cited as a clear reason why one should not empower the common folk, because the common folk are too stupid to know their own interests. If they had, they would’ve dismembered Maddaloni who despised them as rabble instead. More happily, he is also invoked as a reminder of the need to implement needed reforms in advance, lest desperation conjure up a man like him; in this, he shares a similar historical memory to that of his contemporary Konon.
A future Hobbes sure will have a lot of historical documents for inspiration. I'm hoping a counterpart will arise in Rhomania since his ideology corresponds nicely with how the Romans think.

And they will. The year 1663 is the nadir of Rhomania’s General Crisis. Now begins the climb out.
Thank goodness.

The timeline's gotten slower because we've entered the modern era in full, meaning there are far more historical scrutiny and nuanced hindsight to go through by dint of more contemporary materials surviving. This is natural. If the pacing remained the same as it had during the early medieval updates then people would rightly call Basileus444 out for being a bad writer creating a threadbare story.

Jesus, what an asshole response.

This timelines gotten better, I have no idea what people are saying. I've been here from the start and can say that compared to the start its much much much better now

Dunno what you're on about. If your problem is this isn't a constant Byzantium wank then you're reading the wrong timeline. And if you can't divorce political leadership readers can disagree with and want to see punished for their actions (nor an institution like a state benefit from such actions) from an entire country or nation of people then this also isn't a timeline for you.

Reread the very last line of the most recent update. Your comment on Rome having a 'losing pace' feels particularly strange when that is the most recent thing you should have read.

I won't speak for the writing style, because such things are artistic and art is subjective, but I have not noticed what you're claiming to be a problem. I have noticed the more dour tone but every story has its rising actions, climaxes, and falling actions. The style and prose do not strike me as in any way inferior to what came before. In several ways, they have improved. Characters are more complex, we see more diversity of perspectives, and B444 has grown increasingly more comfortable with narrative content. Andreas very much had great protagonist energy and that might just be your preferred taste in art but that's not bad. Just different.

I've been reading this timeline since highschool and I turn thirty next month. I don't think I would still be here if I wasn't enjoying myself.

Warning

Go jerk off to Byzantium elsewhere and splash other people with this verbal ejaculation.

Frankly, I think the author is being perfectly gracious not to put his work behind a paywall to avoid having to interact with this sort of trash. If I had the talent or inclination to write something like this I’d certainly not put up with this shit.

I’d prefer he continue to post here, so go away.

Go jerk off to Byzantium elsewhere and splash other people with this verbal ejaculation.

Frankly, I think the author is being perfectly gracious not to put his work behind a paywall to avoid having to interact with this sort of trash. If I had the talent or inclination to write something like this I’d certainly not put up with this shit.

I’d prefer he continue to post here, so go away.
His comment was impolite, but constructively so. This type of attack in response to constructive criticism is highly unwelcome here.