The eagle's left head

So @Lascaris has the Catholic Church made any concessions at all when during negotiations with the Lascarid Empire?Even IOTL, they offered promises of help to the ERE instead of just say give us XYZ or we will get armies from the Latin West to invade you. Trying to use force alone against the Lascarid Empire after repeated failures seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Church.Usually they do try the carrot and stick approach. After all the failures thus far, I think they should be negotiating in good faith. Like I don’t think they would think that the kingdom of Cyprus is worthwhile compared to what the Lascarid Empire could offer. If they could get the Lascarid Empire to join the fold, then that’s potentially a powerful vehicle for the Church to regain the Near East.A smarter Church would be trying to turn the energy of the Lascarids towards the Turks instead of wasting effort trying to protect an obviously failed project like the various Latin Crusader states. The Church is usually REALLY GENEROUS towards kings who are willing to fight non-Christians.

Last edited:
So @Lascaris has the Catholic Church made any concessions at all when during negotiations with the Lascarid Empire?Even IOTL, they offered promises of help to the ERE instead of just say give us XYZ or we will get armies from the Latin West to invade you. Trying to use force alone against the Lascarid Empire after repeated failures seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Church.Usually they do try the carrot and stick approach. After all the failures thus far, I think they should be negotiating in good faith. Like I don’t think they would think that the kingdom of Cyprus is worthwhile compared to what the Lascarid Empire could offer. If they could get the Lascarid Empire to join the fold, then that’s potentially a powerful vehicle for the Church to regain the Near East.A smarter Church would be trying to turn the energy of the Lascarids towards the Turks instead of wasting effort trying to protect an obviously failed project like the various Latin Crusader states. The Church is usually REALLY GENEROUS towards kings who are willing to fight non-Christians.
The church for the past several decades has also been to put it bluntly corrupt to a degree it is not even funny and in the pockets of the French crown (and its Anjou branches) which is why relations with Sicily were affected by such doctrinal religious issues like Syracuse refusing to pay tithes to Avignon and its relationship with the Angevin crown. Now that we are gradually entering a... shall we say more interesting period...

And the wiki article (big surprise) is not that helpful. It explains how it developed far more than what the actual Theological differences were.
Well, if you are looking for Hist. info think that besides from the page on the Hesychasm, also would do well to follow the links and/or to look for Palamas/ Palamism. But, even so, I think that the Wiki page on the Hesychast controversy, it 'd provide both a basic but still good enough, (for anyone without knowledge on the subject or in Theology/Philosophy) and for those interested, it, IMHO, would be a good enough 'kickstart' for further and/or more academically rigorous readings.
From the Hesychast controversy wiki page:

Monasticism and hesychasm[edit]

Hesychasm is a form of constant purposeful prayer or experiential prayer that, from at latest the 13th century, took the form of "a particular psychosomatic technique in combination with the Jesus Prayer".[1] Even before the adoption of that technique, hesychasm, as "the practice of inner prayer, aiming at union with God on a level beyond images, concepts and language", with or without use of the Jesus Prayer can be traced back much earlier.[1]

The other great development is the incorporation of Macedonia. In OTL, Manuel Palaiologos briefly recovered east Macedonia but within a decade it was lost to the Ottomans. While we all expect the two rising powers to clash, I doubt Lascarid Macedonia will simply collapse as a house of cards as in OTL. The eastern half of the Lascarid Empire can field armies as big as the christian armies of Kosovo and Nicopolis but under a single command and not composed by heterogeneous forces.

Therefore, I think that Thessaloniki has gotten back its hinterland, for the first time since the Zealots. The city can flourish or at least start properly its recover. And it will be part of a well-run realm. I would guess that it will be much more secure for a caravan carrying serbian silver to reach Thessaloniki, than going to Ragusa through Zeta or Bosnia where princely authority was weak and the feudal lords and chieftains were overmighty. Other than the silver trade, in general the economic life of Macedonia won't be interrupted - at least not as much compared to OTL, and the export of cotton, raw silk, grain and hides can continue.

The sicilian success changes the whole dynamic of the ottoman expansion as well. Tsar Ivan Shishman and Prince Lazar might seek a sicilian alliance to address the ottoman expansion. When Sofia falls, then the road to Nis and the Moravan Serbia is open. I doubt Murad will be able to keep his gazis focused on just one christian opponent, since at this point the ottoman conquest is carried by a "predatory confederation" as Heath Lowry has stated.

Murad's calculations will change as well. If he focuses his efforts against Lascarid Greece, then the Bulgarians and Serbians can assert their independence. Ivan Shishman might get the opportunity to try to recover Sofia or another stronghold south of the Balkan Mountains. If he focuses on the Bulgarians and Serbians, Philanthropenos can see the writing on the wall and would go on the offensive, chipping away strongholds in Thrace. Or he can even establish bases on the asiatic shore - e.g. Cyzicus or Pegae. The political fragmentation of the Christians is much less pronounced. The next two decades will be interesting to say the least.

The other great development is the incorporation of Macedonia. In OTL, Manuel Palaiologos briefly recovered east Macedonia but within a decade it was lost to the Ottomans. While we all expect the two rising powers to clash, I doubt Lascarid Macedonia will simply collapse as a house of cards as in OTL. The eastern half of the Lascarid Empire can field armies as big as the christian armies of Kosovo and Nicopolis but under a single command and not composed by heterogeneous forces.
Well, besides of the similar or bigger numbers. I think that the combined arms way to fight from the Sicilians and the lack of the C.& C issues of the OTL Crusading Armies, would mark the difference against the Ottomans. C&C issues, ones which stemmed from some of the Crusading Aristocrats leaders mindset (same one that caused the French debacles before their English opponents and quite more relevant, the 'Golden Spurs' one, when faced with the Flemish rebels

That you'd see God's light, the same seen by the Apostles in Mount Tabor by the simple expedient of looking at your belly button and chanting "god save me" for a few hours? Yes I can think that this would cause some controversy.
Argh…..Christians doing what Christians do best —come up with new ways to create controversy in the church……over minor things……./j

Last edited: