if the people of France revolt against Orleans, Henri should or rather needs to head that rising. Better to become king with French swords, than be invited back after the fact. A king who is made by the people can be unmade by them as well.
Amen to that bro, he needs to showcase streght and that he has the capability to take the reigns and not be snatached away from it!

you don't think Europe would take it rather poorly?
I don’t think anyone is going to take Frankie marrying ‘well’

like, the prospect of him having legitimate children, regardless of who mothers them, is gonna make people lose their shit

though honestly I’m a little lost on what his ambitions here are. He will be regent of Austria once Kaiser Franz dies, yes?

Last edited:

like, the prospect of him having legitimate children, regardless of who mothers them, is gonna make people lose their shit
That's pretty much expected, but his natural ones will be underestimated and that's what's going to me their rise all the more shocking and spectacular, because people still undermine bastards in spite of the times they have proven their wort in the past.

That's pretty much expected, but his natural ones will be underestimated and that's what's going to me their rise all the more shocking and spectacular, because people still undermine bastards in spite of the times they have proven their wort in the past.
a very good point. Frankie’s existing kids shouldn’t be underestimated just because of their illegitimacy.

a very good point. Frankie’s existing kids shouldn’t be underestimated just because of their illegitimacy.
Yep, look at 2 of the greatest examples of this: William I "The Conqueror" of England and Joao I "The Great" of Portugal, 2 of the most accomplished, succesful and decorated kings of all time were illigitimate, and yet they rose to the occassion and kicked major ass and secured themselves places in hsitory.

A Very English Scandal
Soundtrack: Johann Strauss I: Huldigung der Königin Victoria von Grossbritannien

*exterior shot* *Buckingham Palace[1]*
*interior shot* *Queen Victoria is seated across from where the famous duke of Wellington is standing [2]*
Queen Victoria: I must congratulate you, your Grace, on winning the election.
Wellington: My thanks to your Majesty. Although it feels...somehow dishonourable, given the...state of affairs under which my predecessor was forced to quit office.
Victoria: state of affairs? We need not blush about it, Milord Wellington, the truth is simple. I trusted in a man who then used that trust to betray my very confidence, and that of England, if we were to mourn every so-called great man like that- would your Grace have wept for Napoleon?
Wellington: as a man or as a tyrant, Majesty?
Victoria: did my grandfather distinguish between the two *looks up at Ramsay's portrait of George III*
Wellington: his Majesty was a...complicated man. Respectable, respected, well-liked-
Victoria: except by the Americans, I understand.
Wellington: of course, Majesty.
Victoria: as your first job as my new prime minister-
Wellington: your Majesty, I must...respectfully...decline the offer.
Victoria: because you feel it is "somehow dishonourable"?
Wellington: because I feel that one needs to be a member of the house of Commons, not the Lords, in order to be able to achieve some form of cohesive government.
Victoria: *looks out window at the Mall for a moment* so...my last prime minister is a disgrace, and you, Milord, who have fought from India to Waterloo...are a coward? You wish for the Tories to win the election but then wish to shirk the responsibilities that come with that victory? Now...when your queen stands in more need of guidance than ever, you would abandon her to the vicissitudes of the political tide-
Wellington: *shifts uncomfortably*
Victoria: -how would my father have reacted to a soldier like that? [3] Lord Melbourne with Lady Flora I can understand, but your behaviour in such a manner, sir, makes us little better than Bonaparte. Or those damned Frenchies across the channel that can barely form a cohesive government that lasts longer than three weeks.
Wellington: *attempting to be tactful (a trait even he admitted he didn't have)* your Majesty...should we...not be overly hasty in condemning Lady Flora? It's hardly as though this...game...is anything new to Lord Melbourne. I doubt that he would have fallen as swiftly as he had had he not shown a...record of such behaviour in the past.
Victoria: I misunderstand Milord, are you asking me to excuse Lady Flora or Lord Melbourne for their behaviour?
Wellington: neither, your Majesty. I simply feel that there is no need to rush to judgement.
Victoria: she is pregnant is she not?
Wellington: she is [4].
Victoria: and the father is Lord Melbourne?
Wellington: the young lady is loath to confirm or deny that rumour. Simply that the rumour was started by a "spiteful foreigner".
Victoria: who we all know is Baroness Lehzen, no?
Wellington: that is not my position to know, your Majesty.
Victoria: well, it is hardly Prince Albert, the Count of Chambord or the Queen of Portugal, now is it?
Wellington: your Majesty has discussed this with them?
Victoria: no. But the Queen has asked me to stand godmother to her first son. And Prince Albert mentioned in his last letter that rumours are swirling in Vienna about the matter.
Wellington: only because the Viennese cannot speculate about their own politicians, your Majesty.
Victoria: have you seen the cartoon in today's paper? *hands Wellington the paper*
Wellington: *looks at the cartoon* *a kneeling Louis Philippe is wearing an Aztec crown* *supported by Denmark (dressed as Hamlet) and Muhammed Ali* *opposite them stands a nag of a horse, it's knees buckling under the weight of supporting Henri de Chambord, Nikolai of Russia and Metternich - symbolically holding onto Nikolai to avoid falling over the horse's rump* *behind the horse kneels a frightened "Montezuma"* *Henri - dressed as the typical ancien regime fop - brandishes a sword at Louis Philippe and orders "Monseigneur le Duc, discard such a bauble, that crown becomes you not"* *he's clearly indicating the "Aztec" crown, but the meaning of his words are clear*
Wellington: if that is what he can accomplish without an army, your Majesty, I should be terrified to see what he can accomplish with one.
Victoria: *ignores the response* Now...to return from the criticisms of whether or not my judgement of Lord Melbourne and Lady Flora is sound...you were in the process of giving me a response of why you - England's greatest general since Marlborough - is seemingly unfit to accept the iron crown of duty that this victory commends you to. Do you think Milord Marlborough would've declined the offer had Queen Anne made such?
Wellington: if he had accepted, then the duke of Modena should no doubt be king of England rather than your Majesty.
Victoria: that may be, but I will not repeat myself a third time, Milord.
Wellington: *grudgingly* if your Majesty so wishes, I shall form a government.
Victoria: *royal we* we do.
Wellington: if I may be so bold, Majesty...
Victoria: but you will anyway.
Wellington: there is likely to be suspicion...of your Majesty's ladies, given how...close some of them are to Lord Melbourne.
Victoria: you wish me to change my ladies?
Wellington: I am simply the weather gage informing your Majesty of the wind to come. Mr. Peel feels that it is quite necessary-
Victoria: *sharply* then you may tell Mr. Peel that under Queen Anne no minister, much less a prime minister's secretary, dared to dictate such a move when we all saw how the duchesses of Somerset and Marlborough held sway. *royal we* we will not tolerate such an intrusion into what is essentially a private matter. I will not appoint my ladies to suit he or Lord Melbourne's political preferences, Milord. Otherwise, soon, I shall have to accommodate Lady Melbourne [i.e. Flora Hastings] in a position of closeness I would find unstomachable.
Wellington: as is your right, Majesty.
Victoria: however, I have made it known to Lord Ashley [5] that I am willing to have the duchess of Buccleuch [6] replace the duchess of Sutherland as my mistress-of-the-robes, if such a change is acceptable to him [7]
Wellington: *bows* of course, your Majesty.

*cut to Apsley House* *Wellington is still being helped out of his coat*
Sir Robert Peel: and? Were you able to make any headway?
Wellington: the duchess of Buccleuch.
Peel: *confused face*
Wellington: that is all her Majesty will concede to you.
Peel: but we can't-
Wellington: I made your points, Mr. Peel. And her Majesty refuted all of them. Especially since, as she pointed out - very astutely - if she were to concede to your points...she would have to tolerate the new Lady Melbourne in such a position were the Whigs to come back into power.
Peel: *clearly never thought of that*
Wellington: *sits down in chair by fireplace* while I tried to avoid the ministry, her Majesty has...forced me to accept.
Peel: what of your plans for-
Wellington: well, I shall have to postpone those for now...Queen Victoria commands and we obey *starts humming O'er the Hills and Far Away[8]*

[1] I personally loathe the place, but wasn't sure if Victoria could be prevailed on to move anywhere else, I would love it if a monarch could move back in at Hampton Court, but given all the "decorative horrors" that Victorianism was known for (they cut legs off of antique tables/chairs in some palace just to acconmodate the queen's (1.4m) height!) I suspect it's something I'll live to regret. So "dear Buckingham" it is.
[2] I'm not sure when she started this process, I know Disraeli complained of being kept standing "like a footman", but there is also a report from her obituary in the Times that Melbourne had taken great liberties by daring to sit in the presence of the sovereign
[3] in her letters, the one trait of Victoria that stands out is her manipulative "skills". I don't think that this was a trait that only emerged later in life, I think this was something that only emerged after Albert died. I also don't think it's a stretch to imagine that she's the type that would play this card on Wellington (namely the image of a soldier shirking his duty)
[4] because why not? Melbourne's likely feeling "vulnerable" after his son dies. Perhaps a bit lonely. People say things they shouldn't. Wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am and he and Flora write themselves out of history. Plus Victoria having "tasted" independence is less likely to be as "completely" under Lehzen's thumb as she was OTL. Which means that the Baroness might blame Melbourne for the "change" in her charge.
[5] the future 7e Earl of Shaftesbury. On 9 May 1839, Victoria suggested him to Peel as a "compromise" candidate, and allowing him to change several of the lesser posts, but Peel insisted on the ladies-in-waiting being changed
[6] not Charlotte Thynne, but butterflies marry the duke to Emma Mary Mackinnon, daughter of this man.
[7] essentially Victoria is "acknowledging" that there will be criticism to come, but she's settling the matter on her terms (that she chooses the woman to replace the duchess of Sutherland, not the Prime Minister) and makes it very clear that she will be the one in charge. She's doing what Queen Adelaide recommended and "keeping the politicians in their proper sphere"
[8]

To @The_Most_Happy @VVD0D95 I hope you approve
@isabella @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @LordKalvan @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell

Is there anyone left for Frankie to marry?
Clémentine d'Orléans? Any of Francisco de Paula of Spain's daughters (all except two of whom made disastrous marriages OTL - one to a journalist she met outside a cake shop and another to a Polish count)? Three sisters of King Bomba (OTL Infanta Sebastiao, condesa de Montemolin and empress of Brasil)?

though honestly I’m a little lost on what his ambitions here are. He will be regent of Austria once Kaiser Franz dies, yes?
for now his ambitions are (seemingly) undefined. What he is actually doing is - as I pointed out above - following Richelieu's advice of "nationalizing the monarchy, royalizing the nation" by focusing on a city that was...more or less neglected by the Habsburgs. Making them feel "part" of the empire. He actually has no official position, he isn't governor of Venice or anything like that, Archduke Rainier still holds control of the army and the navy is still under the duke of Teschen, so Frankie is doing most of this stuff as a "private individual". Also, because he's doing it in somewhere like Venice and not Rome or Milan, probably most people in Vienna (not to mention his Bonaparte relatives) look at it like "that's a cute little project he's got going there", not realizing that he is actually - as he says to Marie Louise - working like a dog to save the empire from going the same way as Venice by doing what Metternich should be doing. Frankie "fixing" Venice is sort of an advertisement of his non-existent political résumé. He's not playing politics, he's not (really) playing army, he's not really doing anything that anyone can object to beyond "building bridges" and giving people reasons not to hate on the Habsburgs. Conveniently with a nice Louis-Philippe shaped bogeyman.

His setting up a bank puts Italian (or Lombard-Venetian) economy nearly fifty years ahead of where it was in the 19th century OTL, for instance. His encouraging of Venice to become an entrepot of trade and a naval base means that the Habsburg economy - still labouring in the 1820s/1830s under debts from the Napoleonic Wars - gets the cash injection it needs. His plans for the navy mean that the Austrian ships being built mean that, for their time, those ships are probably pretty "advanced"/"revolutionary". While Metternich and Bombelles criticize his "dragging the emperor (Franz, Ferdinand, and future Franz Josef) around like a dancing bear" his showing them to the people, attaching their names to "progress" (like railways, industry and education) is emphasizing the ancien regime idea of a king caring about the welfare of his people. Like he points out to his mother: everyone knows there's a storm coming when his grandfather dies and leaves an imbecile or a child as heir, he's trying to make it so that the empire can withstand the blast.

As Walewski and Léon both point out at opposite ends of the spectrum

I hear you.
wonder what the earlier "fall/distancing" from Melbourne will mean down theline. Victoria was known - after all - for taking long-lasting (and sometimes not always rational) dislikes to people. So her "disillusionment" with Melbourne could be pretty impactful on her relationship with the Whig party in general, no? Plus, Wellington being prime minister means he can't pull his OTL shenanigans by strengthening the Lords to resist the Commons led prime-ministership.

wonder what the earlier "fall/distancing" from Melbourne will mean down theline. Victoria was known - after all - for taking long-lasting (and sometimes not always rational) dislikes to people. So her "disillusionment" with Melbourne could be pretty impactful on her relationship with the Whig party in general, no? Plus, Wellington being prime minister means he can't pull his OTL shenanigans by strengthening the Lords to resist the Commons led prime-ministership.
It will be impactful, Vicky was someone of pretty passionate and willfull character and she could hold one hell of a grudge. And Wellington will be put in quite the leash with this more confident and outspoken Vicky.

It will be impactful, Vicky was someone of pretty passionate and willfull character and she could hold one hell of a grudge. And Wellington will be put in quite the leash with this more confident and outspoken Vicky.
she and Albert's marriage is going to be one Hell of a bedroom-drama of slamming doors and shenanigans if he tries his OTL shit I suspect. Mean, seriously, what man writes of his queen and wife that "Victoria was very well behaved today, she only had two tantrums" (and yes, he's speaking of his wife not his daughter)

she and Albert's marriage is going to be one Hell of a bedroom-drama of slamming doors and shenanigans if he tries his OTL shit I suspect. Mean, seriously, what man writes of his queen and wife that "Victoria was very well behaved today, she only had two tantrums" (and yes, he's speaking of his wife not his daughter)
Hopefully he will clean up his game to adapt to this new vicky.

VVD0D95

Banned
He seems to be what would be called an abusive arshole